What causes Hyperpigmentation?
There’s no question that exposure to the sun’s UV rays is a major cause of hyperpigmentation, but did you know there are other known causes that can contribute to those pesky brown or age spots? Other known causes include pregnancy or Addison’s disease (decreased function of the adrenal gland). Hyperpigmentation can also be caused by hormonal changes, various drugs, including some antibiotics, antiarrhythmics, and antimalarial drugs.
So now that we know the possible causes, let’s talk about the top five most effective ways to combat unwanted sun spots around the face, neck and decollete.
- IPL/Photofacial: Treatment with intense pulsed light, or a Photofacial, is frequently recommended by doctors to treat hyperpigmentation. IPL is similar to a laser treatment. However, a laser focuses just one wavelength of light at your skin, while IPL releases light of many different wavelengths, like a photo flash. The light from IPL is more scattered and less focused than a laser. IPL penetrates down to the second layer of your skin (dermis) without harming the top layer (epidermis), so it causes less damage to your skin. Pigment cells in your skin absorb the light energy, which is converted into heat. The heat destroys the unwanted pigment to clear up freckles and other spots. You can use IPL anywhere on your body, but it may not work as well on uneven areas. It isn’t recommended for people who tend to get thick, raised keloid scars or who have darker skin tones.
- Clear & Brilliant: Clear + Brilliant is a gentle laser skin care treatment, clinically proven to help fight and prevent the effects of aging skin. This may be a good treatment if you already have or plan to begin a skin care regimen to help protect against the natural and environmental effects of aging, you like the way your skin looks today, and want to keep that fresh, youthful look for years to come, you have a regular, consistent approach to skincare and are looking to boost your results, or you don’t have the time or desire for more invasive procedures like cosmetic surgery or aggressive resurfacing treatments. Recommended for all skin tones. Three to six treatments are recommended for best results.
- Brightening Facial: Getting facials such as the HydroPeptide® Brightening Facial that targets irregular skin tone and hyperpigmentation specifically will even out, lighten and brighten many types of skin discoloration including age spots, sun damage, acne scars and pregnancy mask. This facial will help to address pigmentation concerns without the use of harsh chemicals by combining proven natural skin brighteners with gentle exfoliation. A potent dose of antioxidants helps to protect the skin while a targeted treatment serum jumpstarts a more even complexion. For best results, Newport Fat Loss & More recommends getting these medical grade facials every four weeks.
- Microneedling: is a cosmetic procedure that involves repeatedly puncturing the skin with tiny, sterile needles (microneedling the skin). Otherwise known as CIT or Collagen Induction Therapy or Vampire Facials, it is used to treat a number of skin problems including hyperpigmentation, melasma, scarring and acne. Platelet-rich plasma (PRP) can be combined with collagen induction therapy treatment to enhance results. PRP is derived from the patient’s own blood and contains many growth factors that increase collagen production. It can be applied topically to the entire treatment area during and after collagen induction therapy treatments and/or injected intradermally to scars. For best results, microneedling treatments should be done every six weeks.
The 5th Magic Ingredient
The one magic ingredient that is the key to ensuring your desired result is: adopt a consistent skin care routine at home. Without having one, expensive spa treatments will not be as effective without it. You must pair quality skin care brightening products that you can apply at home daily and nightly (or as recommended by your dermatologist) with any treatment.
One product we need to mention is HydroPeptide’s LumaPro-C due to its great pigment-correcting serum that safely brightens any complexion using a novel, drug-free formulation. This is perfect for Those concerned with reducing the appearance of and preventing hyperpigmentation due to sun damage, post-acne, and “pregnancy mask.”
How It Works: 8 key brightening ingredients at their clinical levels have been combined to powerfully address existing hyperpigmentation by encouraging resurfacing and prevent excess pigmentation from accumulating in the future by blocking key factors that cause uneven complexion. KEY ACTIVES:
- DermalRX SRC – Breaks down hyperpigmented cells which enhances skin texture and brightness.
- Stable Vitamin C – BV-OSC is the most effective and stable vitamin C available.
- Algaktiv LightSKN – A select blend of microalgae clinically proven to brighten age spots.
Newport Face & Body & More in Costa Mesa, CA offers the Brightening Facial for just $100 and you can pick up the LumaPro-C for maximum results. To schedule an appointment for a facial, call (949) 629-3934.